Definition: A child with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a child with an acquired injury to the brain caused by an external physical force resulting in total or partial functional disability or psychosocial impairment, or both, which impairment adversely affects the child’s ability to receive reasonable educational benefit from general education. A qualifying Traumatic Brain Injury is an open or closed head injury resulting in impairments in one or more areas, such as cognition; language; memory; attention; reasoning; abstract thinking; judgment; problem-solving; sensory, perceptual, and motor abilities; psychosocial behavior; physical functions; information processing; and speech. The term “traumatic brain injury” under this rule does not apply to brain injuries that are congenital or degenerative, or to brain injuries induced by birth trauma.
BrainSTEPS consulting teams support school teams in the development and implementation of educational plans following acquired brain injury.
Professional Development Opportunities
Executive Function and Emotional Regulation for Students with Brain Injury (and other neurologically impacted disabilities)
- December 9, 2016 - Island Grove Regional Park, Greeley, CO
- January 20, 2017 - Hotel Colorado, Glenwood Springs, CO
- February 3, 2017 - Adams 12 Conference Center, Thornton, CO
- February 16, 2017 - Colorado Adventure Point, Denver, CO
- February 24, 2017 - Academy 20 Educ/Admin Center, Colorado Springs, CO
Online Learning Opportunities
Challenging Behavior and Executive Function (for students with brain injury and other neurologically impacted disabilities) (Video Modules - 9 parts)
NOTE: This was a full day training and is intended to be watched in its entirety. These are not stand alone.
Want to Learn more about brain injury? View this Brain Injury 101 video (3 minutes)
Brain Injury: Special Education Criteria and Social Emotional Intervention
Educator Brain Injury Trainings
Eligibility and School-Based Inter-Disciplinary Assessment and Intervention: A Common Sense Approach (Video Modules - 4 parts)
Join the Brain Injury Listserv
To subscribe to the brain injury listserv:
- Open a new email.
- In the “To” field, type the email address TBIfirstname.lastname@example.org and send the message.
- You will receive a confirmation email. You will not be added until you respond to this email.
- If you have a problem, try using “plain” text or check with the technology people in your district.
To unsubscribe from the Brain Injury listserv:
- Open a new email.
- In the “To” field, type the email address email@example.com and send the message.
- In the body of the message write, “unsubscribe TBI.”
- You will automatically be unsubscribed.
For more information, please contact: