Mediation is an informal, voluntary process in which a neutral person assists the parties in communicating and exploring possible options for resolving conflict. The goal of special education mediation is to help the parties reach their own mutually acceptable resolution of the disputed issues related to a student’s special education services.
Click here for more info on Mediation.
A State Complaint is a written complaint requesting an investigation of any alleged violations of the IDEA requirements. A State Complaints Officer will conduct an informal investigation, considering the information and interviews of the parties involved, and issue a written decision.
Click here for more info on State Complaints.
Due Process Complaint
A Due Process complaint is a process involving an Administrative Law Judge who conducts a hearing, much like a formal court proceeding. The ALJ considers the information and testimony offered by each side and issues a written decision.
Click here for more info on Due Process Complaints.
Dispute Resolution Information
- Procedural Safeguards Notice | Aviso de garantias de procedimiento
Parent and Child Rights in Special Education / Derechos de los padres y sus hijos (Amended 07/01/11)
- Dispute Resolution Rights (brochure) | Derechos en la solucion de disputas
- Dispute Resolution Options
- State Complaint Procedures | Procedimientos Para Quejas a Nivel Estatal
- Mediation Services | Servicios de Mediación
General Special Education Information
- IEP DVD (English/Espanol) - Overview of the Special Education Process is a 47 minute DVD
- The OSEP Spanish Glossary Project - Glossary of Common Terms related to IDEA (English / Espanol)
- Special Education Guidance Documents
- "Working Together: Building Improved Communication" - a collection of free resources is designed to support effective collaboration between parents, schools and early childhood programs. Courtesy of The Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education (CADRE).
For more information, or to speak with someone about dispute resolution options, contact:
Exceptional Student Services Unit, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80202 | Phone: 303-866-6694, Fax: 303-866-6767