As a response to COVID-19 and to ensure safety of educator applicants and CDE staff members through social distancing:, the Licensing office will no longer have in-person operating hours.
If you can't find the answer to your question on this website, please send your questions via email to email@example.com or call and leave a voicemail at 303-866-6628.
Please note that due to staff working remotely, we will be retrieving voicemails remotely and returning your phone messages within 24 business hours.
You are here
Guidelines for applicants and employers regarding licensure, test requirements, PD and more!
General Requirements for All Licenses & Authorizations
- General Requirements for All Licenses & Authorizations
- Colorado Endorsement Requirements
- Fingerprint Requirements
Information for Out-of-State Applicants
- Credentialing Guide for Out-of-State Applicants
- Out-of-State Endorsement FAQ
- How to Obtain a Colorado Educator License
Career & Technical Education
Alternative Programs and Licensure
Want to Renew Your License?
Already Submitted an Application?
Other Frequently Visited Pages
- Praxis, PLACE and NES Exam Information
- Teacher Exchange Opportunities
- National Board Certified Teacher Stipends
The latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
- CDE created a Principal Resources webpage that brings together internal and external resources to support principals and school leaders. Resources around planning for the 2020-21 school year are also available on the COVID-19 Resources for Principals webpage.
- TEACH Colorado is officially launched with a mission to increase the quality, quantity and diversity of the state’s teacher pipeline. TEACH Colorado is a partnership among Colorado’s school districts, educator preparation programs, state agencies, and business and nonprofit groups to launch a comprehensive digital platform that recruits talented Coloradans into the teaching profession and provides the support they need to enroll in an educator preparation program. Learn more today at TEACHColorado.org.
- HB18-1309 created the Teacher of Record License, Teacher of Record Program, and Grow Your Own Educator Program in response to the teacher shortage. When a district, BOCES or charter is in need of a licensed teacher in a designated shortage area, and no qualified applicants have applied for the position, the teacher of record license and associated programs may be used to fill the position. This option allows an individual to serve as the teacher of record in a classroom while completing up to the remaining 36 credit hours of a teacher preparation program. The Grow Your Own Educator grant program provides funding to support the teacher’s tuition while they complete these remaining credit hours. Click here for more detailed information.
- In July 2018 the State Board of Education approved new rules to ensure educators in Colorado are prepared to meet the needs of English learners in our schools. Effective Sept. 1, 2018, educators endorsed in elementary, English, math, science and/or social studies seeking to renew their professional license must complete or demonstrate completion of professional development activities equivalent to 45 clock/contact hours or three (3) semester hours in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) education that meets or exceeds the standards outlined in section 5.12-5.15 of 1 CCR 301-37. This requirement must only be completed once during the term of the educator's career. To find out more about these requirements, if and how they apply to you and what you'll need to do by when, visit the English Learner PD Requirements Information for Educators page.
- The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) presents the Model Code of Ethics (MCEE), a common language of ethics developed by educators for educators. The MCEE is the first common language of ethics that can support and guide decisions regarding professional practice. Educators and administrators are encouraged to include the following listed resources in a future training or Professional Learning Community (PLC). For questions or comments contact NASDTEC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MCEE video featuring the educators who helped develop the MCEE, speaking to the importance of the code and its application in the classroom
- DistruptEd two-part video conversation with Troy Hutchings and Phil Rogers about the Code of Ethics (Part 1 and Part 2)
- Learn more about the Teacher Oath Requirement (per Senate Bill 17-296)
- Local Education Agency Parental Notification information has been posted and is available to districts and charter schools regarding this new 2018 legislative requirement.