You are here
Special Education Directors' Corner
COVID Quick Links
Meetings and Conferences
2024 Special Education Law Conference
The 2024 Colorado Special Education Law Conference will be held on Friday, April 12, 2024 at the Denver Marriott West in Golden Colorado. This one-day conference will cover current issues concerning the education of students with disabilities with updates on both the state and national levels. This event is for Educators and administers, and Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers of students with disabilities in the State of Colorado. Registration is open until March 14, 2024. Register here! Please note that we may have to limit registration space by district.
1st 2022-23 Budget Revision Window #1 Opens
2nd SPED December Count complete error-free snapshot is due prior to the resolving of duplicates process next week.
15th SPED December Count duplicates resolved deadline; and beginning of the final report review week.
23rd SPED December Count Student and Staff final error-free due date. Final reports must be reviewed, signed, and submitted to CDE.
29th 2022-23 Budget Revision Window #1 Closes
1st 2022-23 High-Cost Reimbursement Applications Due to CDE (by upload to the Data Management System)
- Special Education and Educational Surrogate Parents - Technical Assistance and Training Manual 2018 (PDF)
- Educational Surrogate Parent (ESP) Guidance Memo, June 2018 (PDF)
- Update on Educational Surrogate Parent and Counsel for Youth Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Assignment of an ESP Form 2023-2024 (PDF)
- Click here if you are interested in serving as an ESP.
Address Educational Surrogate Parent (ESP) questions to:
Submit form via FAX to:
Mail form to:
Colorado Department of Education
Exceptional Student Services Unit, ESP Assignments
1560 Broadway, Suite 1100
Denver CO 80202
ESSU must have current contact information for all state-level Special Education Directors and Special Education Fiscal Contacts. Our office communicates important updates and information through our listserv, please be sure that we have accurate, updated information. Communications from this listserv will come from CDE_SPED.
The ESSU e-newsletter is our office's primary form of communication with the field. It is published once a month and contains information from the Office of Gifted and Talented, Office of Facility Schools, and Office of Special Education.
HCPF-CDE-SPED and Nurse Letter 2-12-2024
Please see the attached joint communication from the Department of Health Care Policy and Financing and the Colorado Department of Education.
Memos to AU and Special Education Directors
- Adoption of Extended Part C Option for Colorado (PDF) - April 2022
- Early Intervention Evaluation Responsibilities Transfer to CDHS/Early Intervention (PDF)
- K - 12 Resources for Afghan Evacuees (PDF)
- Questions and Answers On Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), Evaluations, and Reevaluations (PDF)
- Letter to State Directors of Special Education (PDF)
- Non-Regulatory Guidance: Ensuring Educational Stability for Children in Foster Care U.S. (PDF)
- OSERS FAQ: The Rights of Students with Disabilities in Public Charter Schools under the IDEA (PDF)
- OCR FAQ: The Rights of Students with Disabilities in Public Charter Schools under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (PDF)
New or Reorganization Application & Checklist
*Applications for New or Reorganized AUs, dates for the 25/26 school year TBD.
There are many ways that children and families can be displaced. There are floods, fires, and other types of natural disasters that can destroy homes or make them uninhabitable for periods of time. Families can also experience hardships that result in major home life changes.
Having trouble with this webpage?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Unit at ESSU@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.