You are here
Colorado Academic Standards: Music Summary of Changes (adopted 2022)
Notable Changes to Music (adopted 2022):
The review committee made the following recommended changes that were adopted by the State Board.
Revisions Applicable to All Grades:
- Updated Classical music terms to reflect current trends in music teaching (incorporating more layman's terms).
- Updated the term for standard 4 from “Aesthetic Valuation of Music” to “Response to Music.”
Revision Applicable to Preschool through 5th Grade:
- Changed the term “perform” to “perform/demonstrate” to create opportunities for both formal and informal presentations of music making and learning.
Revision Applicable to 6th through 8th Grade:
- Due to the nature of the music standards, the standards were organized by performance levels instead of specific grade levels.
- Change of 6th grade to Novice
- Change of 7th grade to Intermediate
- Change of 8th grade to Proficient
Revision Applicable to High School:
- Removed the advanced skill acquisition level across all four standards (use only the Accomplished skill acquisition level for high school).