Each year all public school districts and facilities across the state of Colorado participate in the Student October Count data submission to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). The purpose of this data collection is to obtain required student level data as provided for by state statute, including information regarding students’ funding eligibility as outlined in the Public School Finance Act of 1994, as amended (22-54-101, C.R.S.). The Colorado Department of Education collects these data through the Data Pipeline system with the Information Management Services (IMS) unit of CDE overseeing the collection.
The Student October Count is based on a one (1) day membership count in which districts are asked to report all students who are actively enrolled and attending classes through their district on that date. While the submission should only include those students who meet the membership and scheduling requirements as of the pupil enrollment count day, the actual submission process begins in September and closes mid-November. Districts should refer to the Student October Count data submission documentation distributed by the IMS unit at CDE for further information regarding the actual submission process and data element definitions.
Some forms recommended by the Field Analyst Support Team may contain personally identifiable information of students and districts should take additional precautions. Local education agencies must use secure means when sending Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to CDE. If transferring PII between districts, schools, or with other parties, CDE strongly recommends that you send PII via a secure method. For example, an encrypted email, a secure file sharing tool like Syncplicity, or including the PII in a password protected document. If you have questions, contact CDE’s Data Privacy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples and Clarification
- Sample Attendance for Concurrent Enrollment/ASCENT (PDF)
- AUD 103 (Alternative Count) (PDF)
- AUD 105 (Transfer Notification) (PDF)
- Affidavit of Colorado Residency (Proof of Residency) - 2017/2018 (PDF)
- AUD 101 (Detention Center Notification) (PDF)
- Online Authorizer Assurance Form (PDF)
Internal CDE Resources
- Approved Facilities List
- Approved Online Schools and Programs
- Cooperative Agreement – ASCENT Program
- Cooperative Agreement – Concurrent Enrollment
- Data Pipeline Student October Snapshot
- Gifted and Talented Programs
- Gifted and Talented Advanced Learning Plan Guidelines (PDF)
- Secondary Transition Services Information (IEPs)