You are here
COVID-19 Transportation Guidance
CDE's top priority is the health and safety of all students, educators and communities in Colorado. The department has compiled school transportation-related resources below to help provide guidance to schools and districts during this time.
Welcome to the CDE School Transportation home page!
To create a supportive, encouraging learning environment for the school districts serving Colorado's public school children, through professional, knowledgeable ideas, utilizing the best resources available to achieve safe transportation programs.
2020 DERA School bus Rebates Program Applications Being Accepted - Deadline to Apply - October 30, 2020
We are excited to announce a funding opportunity for school bus fleets that serve public schools. EPA’s Office of Transportation and Air Quality is accepting applications nationwide for rebates to assist in replacing older, dirtier diesel school buses with new school buses certified to EPA's cleanest emission standards. EPA anticipates awarding over $10 million in this funding opportunity. Selected applicants that scrap and replace their old diesel buses will receive a rebate of $20,000-$65,000 per bus depending on the fuel type of the replacement bus.
- ANNOUNCING - NEW CDE Online Small Vehicle Activity Operator Course
- NEW Federal Drug Testing Custody and Control Form
- School Transportation Exemptions - July 2020
- DRAFT Guidance from CDE about school transportation for 2020-21
- COVID-19 Transportation Q & A
- Includes guidance on Cleaning/Disinfecting, Annual Inspectors/Annual Inspections, Drug and Alcohol Testing, etc
- The ALT Fuels Colorado grant program will open a call for applications beginning Monday, November 2nd, 2020. The application will remain open for a two-month period, closing Thursday, December 31st at 5:00 PM MST. Fleets are welcome to review the version listed on our website currently, with the understanding that some program elements will change.
- NEW Given the extraordinary circumstances associated with the COVID-19 outbreak, the CDC has recommended that buses provide clearly visible signage to communicate the symptoms students should not have if traveling on a bus. These are recommendations, not requirements. If indeed a school district, charter school, or service provider determines that they wish to provide this signage 1 CCR 301-25, rule 26.08 outlines the requirements that must be met. Additionally, CDE has issued guidance with pre-approval for COVID-related signage as long as it is in the specified locations and meets all other requirements of the rule to this rule. CDE Pre-Approval of COVID 19 School Transportation Signage
- View News Archive
- ESSA Quick Reference Guide
- February 7, 2022 - FMCSA Entry Level Driver Training Overview
- New Federal Regulation (FMCSA) for All CDL Operators of Increase for Random Controlled Substances (PDF)
- UPDATED 9/23/2020 FMCSA Notice of Enforcement Discretion Determination: Random Controlled Substance and Alcohol Testing
- FMCSA Clearinghouse Registration GuideMCSA Clearinghouse Learning Center
- 2020 CDE School Bus, Multifunction, and Motor Coach Operator Guide (PDF)
- 2020 CDE Type A, Multifunction, and Small Vehicle Route and Activity Operator Guide (PDF)
- 2020 CDE Transportation Resource Guide (PDF)
- 2020 CDE Annual Inspection and Maintenance Resource Guide (PDF)
- 2020 Qualification Files - Documentation Required (PDF)
- 2020-21 License and Training Matrix (PDF)
- CDE - 40 Audit Resource Guide and Claim Form (PDF)
- 2018 Colorado School Bus Driver Trainer Guide (PDF)
- Colorado Interactive Driver History (DOC) (MVR Service)
- Clarifications and concerns on Railroad Crossings in the State (DOC)
- Child Restraint Systems on School Bus (NHTSA)
- Colorado Child Passenger Safety Law
- NHTSA - School Bus Driver In-Service Refresher Modules
- Colorado Safe Routes to School
- Colorado State Pupil Transportation Association (CSPTA)
- Safe Routes to School Guide: Determining School Bus Stops
- Kansas Illegal Passing Survey
- Colorado Department of Transportation Restrictions and Maps
- NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) - NEW School Bus Driver On-Line Curriculum