The goal of the Office of Facility Schools is to ensure that all students in placement receive a quality education and to improve educational outcomes for those students. A number of initiatives are underway statewide in an effort to accomplish that goal. We will be including a variety of documents and information that we hope will be of interest to educators in Facility Schools.
The terms Eligible Facility and Approved Facility School are both used in Colorado Statute.
- The term Eligible Facility means a day treatment center, residential child care facility or a hospital licensed by either the Colorado Department of Human Services or the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- The term Approved Facility School refers to an educational program that is operated by a licensed agency and that has been approved by CDE to receive reimbursement for education services for students placed in the program.
In the spring of 2008, legislation was passed that addressed approved facility schools in a number of ways. Commonly referred to as H.B. (House Bill) 1204 (22-2-401 C.R.S.), it established a board with rule making authority to set graduation requirements and the approval process for facility schools.
- On average there are approximately 6,000 placements made per year in facility schools
- Approximately 80 school districts are represented within our population
- Student placements come from 8 different types of public agencies
- Facility program types include residential, day treatment and hosptials
- The Office of Facility Schools has adopted a K-12 curriculum guides in reading, writing, mathematics, and science that align with the Colorado Academic Standards for all facility schools
- Students in facility schools are assessed in reading and math using the iReady Diagnostic Assessment system
- Grades and transcripts are maintained for all students grades 9-12, courses align to the state common course codes
- All students are required to participate in state assessments
The Facility Schools Board has two open seats - School District representative and Student/Parent representative
If interested please click on the link below and apply by October 5
- Facility Schools Directory, Excel format, August 2018 (XLS)
- Facility Schools Directory, August 2018 (PDF)
Please note Gateway-Delta is not currently taking placements.
House Bill (HB) 10-1274 / Child Welfare Education Liaisons (CWEL)
A directory of current Child Welfare Education Liaisons (CWELs) may be found using the following link: