CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
State Equity Plan and Resources for Districts
CDE was notified by the United States Department of Education (USDE) in July, 2014, regarding the need to submit to the Department a new State Educator Equity Plan in accordance with the requirements of Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). As required by ESEA, CDE, among other things, must describe the steps it will take to ensure that "poor and minority children are not taught at higher rates than other children by inexperienced, unqualified, or out-of-field teachers." Click below to see the plan that was submitted to USDE on June 1, 2015. Appendices referenced in the plan are available upon request.
CDE plans to provide additional resources and tools to help districts understand and use the OCR data, but districts are encouraged to review the following currently available links and resources:
- Fact Sheet: Ensure Students Have Equal Access to Education Resources
- State Plans to Ensure Equity Access to Excellent Educators
- "Dear Colleague Letter" issued by Office for Civil Rights
- Colorado's Educator Equity Profile (PDF)
- Regional Equity Center at Metro State University of Denver
- Keeping Up with the Kids: Minority Teacher Representation in Colorado Report (PDF)
- Keeping Up with the Kids: Minority Teacher Representation in Colorado - Executive Summary (PDF)
U.S. Departments of Education and Justice Release Joint Guidance to Ensure English Learner Students Have Equal Access to High-Quality Education; Department of Education Launches EL Tool Kit
On January 7, 2015, the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and the Department of Justice released a Joint guidance to spell out the legal obligations of state and local education agencies to English learners. At the same time, Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) released the first chapter of an English Learners Tool Kit (on identifying all English learners), offering check lists, tools, and resources to help SEAs and LEAs in fulfilling their obligations. Here is the Department of Education press release for links to all resources.