The ESEA Office is a sub-office that lives under the Federal Programs Unit. The work of this office is to define program and systems quality and to establish standards, indicators, and protocols with which to assess local programs and systems. The goal is to help build the capacity of the field to implement higher quality programs and systems. Our office seeks to ensure that program applications, review protocols and approval criteria reflect high quality program standards and maximizes efficiency and impact.
The purpose of our work is ensure that the ESEA programs in Colorado provide all children significant opportunity to receive a fair, equitable, and high-quality education and close educational achievement gaps.
The Every Student Succeeds Act Committee of Practitioners serves to advise the CDE in carrying out its responsibilities under the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015. It operates to identify issues across regions of the state and facilitate two-way communication between CDE and the preK-12 education community throughout Colorado.
At this time, CDE is accepting applications for the following representation on the committee:
- Charter school teacher(s)
- Career and technical education teacher(s)
- Principal(s) or other school leaders
- Specialized instructional support personnel
- Additional parents of school-age children
- Exceptional Student Services practitioner
- Geographic representation from the Southeast, West Central, and Northwest Regions of the State
Director: Nazanin Mohajeri-Nelson, Ph.D.
Assistant Director: DeLilah Collins
Supervisor: Kim Burnham
Administrative Lead: Michelle Prael
Phone Number: 303-866-6998
The work of the ESEA Office is to define program and systems quality and to establish standards, indicators, and protocols with which to assess local programs and systems quality. The goal is to help build the capacity of the field to implement higher quality programs and systems. This office seeks to ensure that program applications, review protocols and approval criteria reflect high quality program standards and maximizes efficiency and impact.
Administrative Lead: Brittany Jimenez
Phone Number: 303-866-6813
The Office of Competitive Grants and Awards is dedicated to enhancing school improvement through federal and state grant opportunities. We offer support to students, teachers and administrators in the application and funding process for a wide variety of grant and award programs. We strive to develop high quality grant applications and review protocols, to recognize highly effective local programs and educators, utilize their expertise in support of increased program effectiveness, and create incentives for others to implement bold reforms in support of increased student achievement.
Administrative Lead: Sofia Hernandez Sosa
Phone Number: (303) 866-6963
The Federal Programs Unit's Office of Data, Program Evaluation and Reporting (DPER) is responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of ESEA programs and fulfilling federal accountability and data reporting requirements. Our team collects, manages, and analyzes data to inform the development of applications for funding and standards for program quality, by going beyond accountability measures and evaluating the impact of programs and identifying best practices in program implementation.
Tools & Resources
- Guidance for Supplement, Not Supplant for Title I, Part A
- ESEA Regional Contacts
ESEA Office district contacts by region
- ESEA Technical Assistance Request
- Year at a Glance
- Overview of ESEA Programs - administered by the Federal Programs Unit
- ESSA Information - In December of 2015, President Obama signed into law the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). The title of the reauthorized legislation, which replaces the No Child Left Behind Act, is the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program - Teacher student loan cancellation and forgiveness program information based on the Low Income Directory (TCLI)
Office of ESEA
Nazanin (Nazie) Mohajeri-Nelson
Director, ESEA Programs Office
Assistant Director, ESEA Programs Office
ESEA Programs Team
Brad Bylsma: Metro and Southwest Regions
Director of Coordinated Supports
Jeremy Meredith: Southwest
Title II Program Specialist
Kristen Collins: Southwest Region
Consultant: Title VB
Data, Accountability, Reporting and Evaluation Team
Coordinator, ESEA Reporting
Data Collection Specialist & Research Analyst