CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Learn more about UIP timelines including extensions for public posting of UIPs and permanent timeline shifts.
This page includes general resources for timeline and completion of the UIP as well as documents and tools for each section of the UIP. The resources are a mix of CDE-created templates that have been used in partnership with schools and districts and third-party resources that may be helpful for UIP continuous improvement processes and completing the UIP.
New UIP Guidance and Requirements
Quick Reference Planning Guidance 2020-2021
This guidance includes flexibility and suggestions for improvement planning during the accountability pause, including identifying priority performance challenges; target setting; action planning and more. Detailed, comprehensive guidance will be released within the coming weeks. View this planning guidance.
New Read Act UIP Requirements 2020-21
Beginning in the 2020-21 school year, districts must report K-3 literacy programming in their UIPs. Learn more about these requirements.
- Districts may use this template (XLS) to submit information about their K-3 instructional literacy programs.
If a district is not submitting a 2020-21 UIP due to biennial flexibility or participation in a Local Accountability System grant, use this template to submit the 2020-21 READ Act reporting requirements.
The following instructions have been provided as a tool to support districts in reporting K-3 literacy instructional program data as described in the READ Act. See this document for detailed guidance.
See this document for detailed submission guidance for the new district READ Act Requirements.
For information on training and office hours to support these new requirements, visit the UIP Training Page.
- October 15 - Schools and districts that are exercising COVID-19 flexibility required to submit 2020-2021 UIP. Optional submission date for all other schools and districts.
- January 15 - For districts with schools on the Accountability Clock (i.e., priority improvement, turnaround) state law requires notification be sent to parents with information about the school’s plan type, UIP process, and about the upcoming public hearing. CDE will not be monitoring the notification process this year.
- January 15 - Schools receiving ratings of Priority Improvement, Turnaround or are On Watch required to submit UIP. Will receive feedback from CDE including if there are required changes for April submission.
- April 15 - Deadline to submit UIP for public posting.
Guidance for UIP
- Quick Reference Planning Guide 2020-21 (PDF)
- 2020-21 Availability of State Data Resources - Draft (PDF)
- Using Non-Assessment Data (PDF)
- UIP Online System Handbook 2020-21 (PDF)
- UIP Quality Criteria Rubric - School (PDF)
- Accountability and Improvement 2020-21 Changes (PDF)
- The Unified Improvement Planning Handbook - Special Edition for the Accountability Pause (Coming Soon)
- 2020-21 Accountability Handbook (PDF)
- Accountability Clock: Year 4 Requirements
- 2020-21 District Admin User Guide for Online UIP System
- View additional guidance documents