Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking an emergency authorization for the first time. If you already hold an emergency authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
Once you submit your application it may take up to 60 days for the Colorado State Board of Education to make a decision.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
1 year from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you have attended.
- Document employment history for the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Complete the applicant section of the Emergency Authorization Packet.
- Forward the packet to the school district requesting your services.
- The school district must return the completed and signed form to you so you can include it with your online application.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.
Then, select the application titled "Emergency Authorization" to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.