Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1100
Denver, CO 80202
The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education provides support to Colorado school districts, schools, and educational leaders in the academic, linguistic, and social-emotional challenges and opportunities of culturally and linguistically diverse students to ensure equitable access to grade level standards and ensure a well-rounded education.
The 2017 CLDE 11th Annual Academy continues to offer an opportunity to network with district colleagues across the state to provide a professional platform to learn and share innovative and effective practices and programs for Colorado English learners. May 2nd participants will have the opportunity to select from a menu of workshops for an afternoon of focused learning. May 3rd participants will attend CLDE Academy sessions offered in a conference style format.
Intended Audience - District Directors, Coordinators, and Administrators. Please limit registration to 2 members per district.
- 3 Hour Workshops - May 2, 2017 from 1:30pm-4:30pm - closed, please contact our office
- Evening Reception - May 2, 2017 from 5:00pm-6:30pm - closed, please contact our office
- 11th Annual Academy - May 3, 2017 from 7:30am-4:30pm - closed, please contact our office
Recently Arrived English Learners Toolkit
The White House announced “Bright Spots” for welcoming and expanding opportunities for linguistic integration and education at end of June. The announcement identified a list of resources including the introduction of the U.S. Department of Education’s Newcomer Toolkit designed to help schools support immigrants, refugees, and their families with a successful integration process. This toolkit provides information, resources and examples of effective practices that educators can use to support newcomers in our schools and communities. We are pleased to share this tool with you.
Congratulations 2016 10th Annual CLDE Academy Award Winners
- Patrick Kilcullen - 2016 Distinguished Administrator in Support of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners from St Vrain Valley School District
- Jocelyn McCarthy - 2016 "I Am a Student of Culture" Elementary School Art Award Winner from Global Village Academy, Douglas County School District
- Saskia Dimberg - 2016 "I Am a Student of Culture" Middle School Art Award Winner from Morey Middle School, Denver Public Schools
- Martin Zapata - 2016 "I Am a Student of Culture" High School Art Award Winner from Pinnacle Charter School, Charter School Institute
English Learner Access to High Quality Education
On January 7, 2015, the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and the Department of Justice released a Joint guidance to spell out the legal obligations of state and local education agencies to English learners. At the same time, Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) released the first chapter of an English Learners Tool Kit (on identifying all English learners), offering check lists, tools, and resources to help SEAs and LEAs in fulfilling their obligations. View Full Announcement (PDF)