You are here
School Nursing and Health - School Nurse Basics
Welcome to School Nursing in Colorado! This webpage is designed to give school nurses an overview of foundational resources used in Colorado School Nursing Practice.
Tips to help you get started:
- Join the School Nurse Listserv - This is how important information on trainings and updates in school nursing are emailed to Colorado School Nurses.
- Sign up for Trainings for New School Nurses - We provide trainings throughout the year for new school nurses and an annual School Nurse Orientation in July.
- Download the School Nurse Calendar (PDF May 2019) - This calendar guides the school nurse throughout the school year.
- Bookmark the School Nursing and Health Home Page for quick reference.
- Review CDE Special Service Provider Licensure information below.
- Contact a Regional Nurse Specialist for any questions! We are here to help!
Following are a collection of key documents and links to content found throughout the School Nursing and Health website for quick reference.
Colorado Guidance Documents
- Colorado Medication Administration Guidelines (Aug 2019 PDF)
- Infectious Disease in Child Care and Schools Guidelines (CDPHE)
- Colorado Emergency Guidelines for Schools (2016 PDF)
- Vision Screening Guidelines: K-12 (Jan 2016 PDF)
- Hearing Screening Guidelines (June 2017 PDF)
Important Links to Explore
- Essential School Health Services - identifies which services are mandated (link below under school nurse practice)
- Rules and Regulations Governing Schools in the State of Colorado (includes CPR) (PDF)
- Rules and Regulations Governing the Health and Sanitation of Child Care Facilities (PDF 2016)
- Colorado Nurse Practice Act
- Chapter 13 - Rules and Regulations Regarding the Delegation of Nursing Tasks (PDF 2017)
- Rules for Administration of Medications (1 CRR 301-68) (PDF 2019)
- CPR for Coaches (HB 14-2176)
- CDE School Nurse Licensure:
- General Requirements - CDE Licensing Office
- Colorado requires a Special Service Provider Endorsement as a School Nurse
- CDE Scope and Practice of School Nursing: Educator Licensing Act of 1991 (pages 157-161) CCR 301-37
- Colorado Registered Nurse Licensure: Colorado Board of Nursing
- Optional Certification: National Board for Certification of School Nurses
The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) School Nurse Mentoring Program is available to school nurses who work as the only nurse in a school district, BOCES or charter school.
Nurses new to the specialty practice of school nursing typically have less than three years of experience in the school setting. Due to the complexity of the role, large amounts of information must be learned in a short amount of time. New school nurses face challenges with issues that are specific to the school setting for which they have not been prepared in their previous work or academic settings. In addition, school nurses lack exposure to the face-to-face/onsite mentoring that occurs in traditional health care settings. The school nurse mentor program provides opportunities to connect novice school nurses with school nurse experts and address the unique role of nurses in an educational setting.
How does the Mentor Program work?:
- Contact the Colorado Department of Education
- Complete the Mentor Request Form and agreement and return to the Mentor Coordinator
- A mentor will be assigned and contact you to arrange services
CDE Representative/Mentor Coordinator:
Assistant Director, Health and Wellness
201 East Colfax Avenue - Room 302
Denver, CO 80203
- Essential School Health Services
- Code of Ethics for Nursing Practice (Available for Purchase from ANA)
- Standards of School Nursing Practice (For purchase from NASN)
- Colorado Nurse Practice Act