The State Personnel Development Grants (SPDG) program of the U.S. Department of Education supports State Educational Agencies (SEAs) in improving educational outcomes for children by providing funding and technical support to assist in reforming and improving systems for personnel preparation and professional development. Specifically, Colorado's previous plans supported adult learning activities that targeted systems change. Through iterations of the grant, in addition to supporting a Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS), Colorado supported implementation of Response to Intervention (RtI) and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) frameworks; effective early childhood education; supports for students with significant supports needs (SSN); supports for students with autism spectrum disorders (ASD); and meaningful partnering between schools and families and communities. One focused area from prior SPDG efforts is related to supporting IHEs in preparing educators to support family, school, and community partnering. Details are provided on the SPDG IHE web page (updated 2014).The CO SPDG also promoted the establishment of region-based technical assistance and training teams to support educational systems in providing training to stakeholders in school/district settings that engage in school reform efforts. Future project activities will build on foundations of past SPDG projects.
2016-2021 Project Information
The purpose of the 2016-2021 CO SPDG project is to develop an integrated Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) framework in Colorado at the state, regional, district, school, and early childhood level through models of successful implementation that can be scaled up across the state. These models will result in increased implementation of evidence-based practices and improvement in academic and behavioral outcomes for all students in Colorado including those with disabilities.
To achieve this purpose the project has five goals:
- Increase state leadership capacity for CO-MTSS through meaningful stakeholder collaboration and team work.
- Increase regional and district capacity for CO-MTSS through effective leadership, planning, and provision of professional development and technical assistance to local schools and educational buildings.
- Increase preschool-12, school level capacity for CO-MTSS through the implementation of team-driven shared leadership, data-based problem solving, family, school, and community partnering, and a layered continuum of evidence-based practices.
- Improve teacher performance through the development of district and regional systems of professional development and technical assistance.
- Increase family, school, and community partnering around CO-MTSS through specific partnership activities and involvement at all levels.
Applications from Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in Colorado were received and reviewed in fall 2016. Awarded grantees attended MTSS Kickoff sessions in early 2017.
- MTSS Leadership Teams (MLTs) from awarded grantee districts or BOCES met with Office of Learning Supports (OLS) personnel who will be providing technical assistance throughout the duration of the five-year grant. All MLTs attended initial training sessions in early 2017. To download and/or review training materials from these events, visit the CDE OLS Winter 2017 MTSS Kickoff page.
- Archive: The informational application webinar that was recorded prior to application deadlines (on 8/31/16) is available here as the archived recording, and the slides used during the session are included for reference.
- Current LEA grantees are:
- Adams 14
- Adams Arapahoe 28J (APS)
- Charter School Institute (CSI)
- Colorado Springs D11
- Douglas County
- Mesa 51
- Norwood R-2J
- San Juan BOCES
- South Routt
- Thompson R2J
- Weld RE3J
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT (JUNE 2017):
If LEAs are interested in participating in the SPDG as member districts/BOCES for Cohort II, please consult these grant materials, also linked on the MTSS homepage.
- An initial training and application webinar will be held on June 23, 2017, at 9 a.m. Register for technical assistance via Eventbrite at: https://comtss2017.eventbrite.com
- CO-MTSS Implementation Grant: Application Cover Pages for Submission (Word)