You are here
1 Year Substitute Authorization Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I renew my 1-year substitute authorization?
Yes, your 1-year substitute authorization can be renewed if it is within 6 months of expiration or has already expired. If you apply prior to 6 months, your application will not be processed and you will have to reapply within the 6 month timeframe.
2. How long will it take to process the renewal of my substitute authorization?
Typically, it will take approximately 2-4 weeks from date of receipt to process a complete substitute authorization application.
3. How do I renew my 1-year substitute authorization?
You will complete a new 1-year substitute authorization application found on the eLicensing site. Because each 1-year authorization is associated with a specific school district, a school administrator, or designee, is required to complete, sign and date a new 1-year substitute verification form as part of the application process.
You can only renew if you are within 6 months of expiration. If you apply prior to 6 months, your application will not be processed and you will have to reapply within the 6 month timeframe.
4. Is the 1-year substitute authorization also called an "emergency substitute" authorization?
No, CDE does not issue an "emergency substitute" authorization.
5. Am I required to turn in another fingerprint card and fingerprint fee if I have already held a Colorado license or authorization?
No, you are only required to have been fingerprinted for the Colorado Department of Education once. You may be required by the employer to submit fingerprints for employment, ask their human resources contact.
6. How can I find a job as a substitute teacher in Colorado?
School staffing is the responsibility of each Colorado school district. Please contact districts directly regarding job openings. You can view districts based on region by selecting links on the Colorado School District Regional Map. Job openings are also regularly posted through Teachers-Teachers.com. See the Jobs for Teachers page for more information.
7. Can I fax or mail an application to CDE?
No, all applications must be completed using the eLicensing system. No hardcopy applications are accepted or available.
8. Will the 1-year substitute authorization cover any specific endorsement area or grade level?
The substitute authorizations are not issued with specific endorsement areas or grade levels and are only valid in the district that completed your verification form. If you are substitute teaching in more than one school district, you will need to submit one application for each district you plan on subbing in. Placement of substitute teachers will be the responsibility of the Colorado school district that will be employing you.
For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator.