- Hiring a Library Director (PDF) Designing a successful interview process
The Colorado State Library regularly offers in-person and virtual training and consulting for public library boards.
- The Basics of Good Governance
- Legal Hot Topics for Libraries
- Trustee Fiduciary Duties
- Introduction to Strategic Planning
- Board Self-Regulation Tactics
- The Interrelationship Amongst Library Governing Boards/Friends/Foundations
- Current Trends in Public Libraries
Contact Jacqueline Murphy (303-866-6891) for further information or to schedule a virtual or in-library board training for your library.
Additional Online Training Resources:
- Getting on Board: Tools for Board Development and Assessment (YouTube Videos from WebJunction)
- Trustee Academy, from United for Libraries
- Mill Levy Elections:
- EveryLibrary Webinar: "The Librarian as Candidate: Or, How to Run Against your own Library and Win"
- CLiC Spring Workshop 2015 - "How to Win Your Library Election"
- Guidelines for complying with Fair Campaign Practices Act (FCPA) (PDF)
- Library Elections 2 Part Web Series from the State Library
- Part 1: How to Get a Yes Vote for Your Library Mill Levy (note: some audio issues at the beginning)
- Part 2: Nuts & Bolts (and Bricks!): Library Elections Primer for Operating and Building Projects
- For election timelines and other resources for initiating your library election, please contact Jacqueline Murphy.
- Colorado Library Law: (CRS 24-90-101 et seq). Full text, Quick Guides, and other information on the Colorado Library Law.
- Other State Laws Impacting Public Libraries
- Library Districts
- A library district is one of the four types of Colorado public libraries specified in the Library Law (CRS 24-90-101...). It is a political subdivision of the state, funded by a voter-approved property tax. Once the library district is approved by the voters, the appointed board of trustees has full governance powers and responsibilities, including mill levy certification, budget appropriation, and the authority to issue bonds.
- Library District Legal Documents (Bylaws, Establishment and Maps)
- Sample Policies
- Fact Sheet: Guns in the Library (PDF)
Disclaimer: This is not intended as legal advice or to serve as a legal opinion of the Colorado Department of Education. Please consult with your city, county or library district attorney, as applicable, for any legal implications for your library.
- Colorado Public Library Standards: The Public Library Standards conform to language in CRS 24-90-105(2)(a.3) calling for improvement in standards for public libraries.
- LRS Resources for Community Analysis
Libraries exist in a political framework, and sometimes either internal or external politics get in the way of our libraries’ missions. CSL facilitation can help your library and community best mitigate this. CSL meeting facilitation is focused on:
- Shared participation
- Mediation and conciliation services
- Improving group dynamics
- Having effective meetings
- Strategic and action planning assistance with quality citizen and stakeholder input
- Assistance with organization and clarifying next steps
For consultation on Strategic Planning, please email Jacqueline Murphy
- Directories and Map:
- Professional Organizations:
- Library Research Service: (LRS) responsible for collecting and organizing library data
- Promotional Campaigns: A variety of resources to help libraries celebrate noteworthy efforts, such as the Summer Reading Program.
Contact Jacqueline Murphy with your library’s press releases or event info. We can post it in the State Library homepage and/or share on social media.
Public Library and Community Development Senior Consultant
Colorado State Library
201 East Colfax Ave, Room 309
Denver, CO 80203-1799
Prior to her State position, Jacqueline Murphy worked as an attorney for various Colorado library systems, including consulting with cities and counties. At the Colorado State Library, she provides support for public library leaders including resources for library districting, trustee training, director orientation, strategic planning, capital projects and community initiatives