CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24 and Friday, Nov. 25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
ARCHIVE: Colorado ESEA Waiver
Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Flexibility Waiver Renewal 2015
Colorado's ESEA Flexibility Waiver Renewal Application was submitted to and received by U.S. Department of Education on March 31, 2015. Colorado received approval of the application on November 20, 2015.
In February, 2012, Colorado received a two-year waiver to many federal ESEA requirements through a waiver process offered by the Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan. Since that time, CDE has submitted and received approval of several iterations of the waiver, including a one-year extension granted in spring, 2014.
Colorado's current ESEA waiver expired at the end of the 2014-2015 school year. CDE believes the waivers have been helpful to Colorado students, schools, school districts and BOCES by streamlining the state and federal accountability systems and focusing improvement efforts. Therefore, CDE applied for, and received, approval for a one-year renewal of the ESEA Waiver for the 2015-2016 school year.
Colorado's 2015 Waiver Application and Approval
- NEW - Assessment Participation Letter to USDE (January 2016)
- 2015 Flexibility Waiver Application (November 2015)
- 2015 Approval Letter from USDE (November 2015)
- USDE Waiver Amendment Letter (April 24, 2015)
- 2015 ESEA Flexibility Waiver Renewal Fact Sheet
- Summary of Colorado's Waiver Application (2011)
- Overview of the Impact of the Waiver on District and School Accountability (2011-2012)
- U.S. Department of Education Waiver Information
- Frequently Asked Questions (2011)
- State Accountability
- NCLB Accountability
Colorado's Previous Waiver Applications and Approvals
- 2012 Flexibility Waiver Application (as revised for the USDE in January 2012)
- 2012 Approval Letter from USDE(February 2012)
- 2012 21st Century Revision Amendment Approval Letter (December, 2012)
- 2013 Flexibility Waiver - Reward Schools Revision (April 2013)
- 2014-2015 Flexibility Waiver Extension Approval Letter