CDE will be closed on Monday, May 25 for the Memorial Day holiday.
You are here
Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC)
Jump to a section:
In 1984, the Colorado State Board of Education (SBE) created the Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC) to advise the SBE concerning all aspects of gifted student education. The GE-SAC was further codified into law in 2014 and is referenced in the Colorado Revised Statutes [C.R.S. 22-20-203(3)].
Values: Honor Voice, Support, Action
- We include the voices from all stakeholders to ensure diverse perspectives are heard and equitably considered
- We advocate for differentiated support for administrative units and their gifted students based upon diverse local and regional needs
- We utilize a holistic student-based approach to support the development of the whole child, balancing their academic, social, and economic career needs
The Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC):
- Provides information to the State Board of Education concerning ongoing and emergent needs and issues related to the education of gifted students in Colorado such as:
- Issues relevant to gifted student learning and growth
- GE-SAC response to timely topics which may impact gifted students or families of gifted students
- Results of studies or research of issues related to gifted student education
- Recommendations to the SBE for improvements and advocacy in gifted student education
- Maintains Standing Committees that facilitate efficient and effective work practices: Communication, Legislative and Membership
- Retains and advocates for a SAC membership that represents stakeholders from the 7 Congressional Districts, representing parents, educators, business, and students
- Fosters participation that provides perspective, voice, inquiry and thinking toward influencing positive action and knowledge for gifted student education
The SBE appoints members to the GE-SAC on an annual basis for three-year terms beginning in the fall of that year. The GE-SAC meets 4-5 times per year, typically from 9 am - 3 pm, at a metro location. Subcommittees of GE-SAC may hold additional meetings by web or face-to-face. Members are reimbursed for travel costs.
Colorado Congressional Districts
Congressional District Members
For more information, please contact a GE-SAC member from your congressional district.
Congressional Districts include an educator, parent, and community representative. District vacancies are announced in January of each year. Interested stakeholders complete the application and submit it to the GE-SAC Membership Committee. Once appointed by the SBE, a 3 year term begins in June.
- View Current District Vacancies
2019-2020 Quarterly Meetings
Note: If you are not able to access the resources or need additional support, please contact the Office of Gifted Education Gifted Program Administrator.