In 1984, the Colorado State Board of Education (SBE) created the Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC) to assist in the improvement of gifted education. The GE-SAC advises the SBE concerning all aspects of gifted student education. The GE-SAC was further codified into law in 2014 and is referenced in the Colorado Revised Statutes [C.R.S. 22-20-203(3)].
- Provides information to the State Board of Education concerning ongoing and emergent needs and issues related to the education of gifted students in Colorado such as:
- Issues relevant to gifted student learning and growth
- SAC response to timely topics which may impact gifted students or families of gifted students
- Results of studies or research of issues related to gifted student education
- Recommendations to the SBE for improvements and advocacy in gifted student education
- Maintains Standing Committees that facilitate efficient and effective work practices: Communication, Legislative and Membership
- Retains and advocates for a SAC membership that represents stakeholders from the 7 Congressional Districts, representing parents, educators, business, and students
- Fosters participation that provides perspective, voice, inquiry and thinking toward influencing positive action and knowledge for gifted student education.
The SBE appoints members to the GE-SAC on an annual basis for three-year terms beginning in the fall of that year. The GE-SAC meets 4-5 times per year, typically from 9 am - 3 pm, at a metro location. Subcommittees of GE-SAC may hold additional meetings by web or face-to-face. Members are reimbursed for travel costs.
Values: Honor Voice, Support, Action
- We include the voices from all stakeholders to ensure diverse perspectives are heard and equitably considered
- We advocate for differentiated support for administrative units and their gifted students based upon diverse local and regional needs
- We utilize a holistic student-based approach to support the development of the whole child, balancing their academic, social, and economic career needs
For more information please contact a GE-SAC member from your congressional district.
Announcing GE-SAC Vacancies
- Student Bill of Rights
- Parent Bill of Rights
- Equal Talents, Unequal Opportunities: Jack Kent Cooke Foundation (PDF)
- Schools & Districts in Congressional Districts
- Colorado State Board of Education
- State Advisory Committee Parent Involvement in Education (SACPIE)
- National Standards for Parent and Family Involvement (English)
- National Standards for Parent and Family Involvement (Spanish)
- Promising Partnership Practices
2018-2019 Quarterly Meetings
2017-2018 Quarterly Meetings
2016-2017 Quarterly Meetings
- September 29, 2016 Minutes (PDF)
- December 1, 2016 Minutes (PDF)
- February 2, 2017 Minutes (PDF)
- May 4, 2017 Minutes (PDF)