CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 25 and Friday, Nov. 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Overview of Online Options
Single District Online Program
A Single District Online Program is a full-time education program that delivers a sequential program of synchronous or asynchronous instruction directed by a teacher and uses online digital learning strategies that provide students choice over time, place, and path, and teacher-guided modality of learning. This is a permanent, long-term option that has been approved through the Office of Blended and Online Learning.
- Accountability for students is attributed to a designated school that houses the online program
- Limit of 100 student enrollments
- Limited to 10 out of district students
- Students are funded at district Per Pupil Rate (PPR)
Single District Online School
A Single District Online School is a full-time education program that delivers a sequential program of synchronous or asynchronous instruction directed by a teacher and uses online digital learning strategies that provide students choice over time, place, and path, and teacher-guided modality of learning. This is a permanent, long-term option that has been approved through the Office of Blended and Online Learning.
- Operates with its own administrator
- Has a separate budget
- Held to state and federal accountability reporting requirements
- Limit of 10 out of district students
- No other limitation on student enrollments
- Applicants must apply for a school code
- Students are funded at district Per Pupil Rate (PPR).
Multi-district Online School
A Multi-district online school is one that enrolls students from two or more districts. The authorizer of a multi-district online school must apply for certification based the resources and capacity to oversee the Online School, Quality Standards for online schools, and a plan for operation. The authorizer and school officials must complete the application for certification.
- May enroll out of district student without limitations.
- Capacity and relationship between authorizer and school must be certified per statute.
- Reviewed applications go to the State Board of Education for vote of approval.
- Students are funded at the online funding rate, as specified in C.R.S. section 22-54-104 (4.5).
Application for the Certification of Multi-district Online Schools
Legislation and Rule direct the Office of Blended & Online Learning to develop and implement a process for certifying multi-district online schools. Only multi-district online schools and their relationship with the Authorizer must be certified by the Office of Blended & Online Learning .
- Certification is not required for a single-district online school or program. Please see below for single district online school or program information.
- Certification is not required for supplemental online programs.
- Online schools that serve a student population drawn from two or more school districts must apply for certification.
- 2022 Certification Application for Multi-district Online Schools (DOC) (Coming soon!)
- 2022 Rubric for Certification Application for Multi-district Online Schools (PDF) (Coming soon!)
- 2022 Amendment Application for Multi-district Online Schools (DOC) (Coming soon!)
Application for Single-District Online Programs and Schools
- 2022 Narrative Questions Document-Word (Coming soon!)
- 2022 Single-District School or Program Application for Recognition Smartsheet form (Coming soon!)
- Complete and finalize the narrative questions document first. This will be one of the required attachments on the Smartsheet form.
- Fill in the information on the Single District School or Program Application for Recognition Smartsheet form.
- The form is logic-based. When ‘online program’ or ‘online school’ is selected, the definition for each will populate. Please check the box to indicate that the definition has been read.
- Once the definition box has been checked, the online program or school contact information fields will populate.
- Each field is required to be filled out before submission.
- Upload the following documentation into the Smartsheet form:
- The narrative questions document
- The proposed schedule
- The school calendar
- The bell equivalent schedule or statement
- The list of courses provided
- To receive a copy of your application submission, check the box labeled “Send me a copy of my responses” and enter your email address. Once submitted, you will receive an email from Smartsheet with your application information included.
- Prior to beginning operations, a proposed program must apply through the Single-District Application (refer to the application instructions above).
- Certification is not required for single-district online programs or schools.
- Districts that wish to operate a single-district online school must apply for a school code, operate with its own administrator, a separate budget, and a complete instructional program.
- An online school is responsible for all state and federal reporting requirements and accountability processes. Any online program with one hundred or more students shall be considered an online school.
2021 Recorded Webinars:
- March 4, 2021 - Key Planning Considerations for Online Options
2020 Recorded Webinars:
- November 16, 2020 - Multi-district and Single District Application Webinar
- July, 15, 2020 - 2020 Student October Count Webinar for Online Schools and Programs
- January 29, 2020 - Beyond High School- CDE’s resources to emPoWeR learners webinar
2019 Recorded Webinars:
- August 29, 2019 - 2019 Student October Count Webinar
- August 9, 2019 - Supporting English Learners in Online Schools and Programs Webinar
- January 31, 2019 - Career & Technical Education (CTE)-Online Schools Webinar
Training and Events
- CDE Calendar of Events/Conferences
This page provides links to meetings, workshops, conferences, etc. and lists deadlines and other key dates provided by CDE staff.
This page provides a comprehensive search tool for Colorado Department of Education-hosted professional development opportunities.
Support and Assistance
- Application FAQ
- Contact Renee Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rachel Matson at email@example.com for questions pertaining to the multi-district or single district applications.