You are here
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) provides free breakfast, lunch, snack and supper to youth in Colorado all summer long. Anyone 18 years of age and younger is welcome to eat a meal with their friends at participating sites throughout the summer.
Free meals are provided to all children at approved SFSP sites in eligible areas across the state. SFSP sponsoring organizations are operated by public and private nonprofit school food authorities, public or private, nonprofit residential and nonresidential camps, local, municipal, county or state governments, public or private colleges or universities participating in the National Youth Sports Program and private, nonprofit organizations.
Sponsors must complete a Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) application in the Colorado Nutrition Portal each year.
Use the following resources to assist with the application.
*Please note you must have and login to a Moodle account to access the recording.
New Sponsor Forms and Site Links
- New User Request Form - fill out this form to request access or modify users in the Colorado Nutrition Portal.
- New Site Request Form - fill out this form to request new site additions to your application in the Colorado Nutrition Portal.
- Mapping Tools - Use this tool to evaluate the previous summer's performance as well as plan for the next summer.
The application approval process can take up to two weeks to complete, especially when participating in multiple child nutrition programs. You will not be able to submit a claim until your renewal application is approved.
New sponsor application deadline is April 15.
Returning sponsor application deadline is May 1.
Sponsors must follow the counting and claiming procedures under the Summer Food Service Program.
- View SFSP Claiming Instructions
- Download SFSP Claim Upload Instructions
- Review 2022 Reimbursement Rates
Daily Meal Count Form
Download Daily Meal Count Form in English:
Download Daily Meal Count Form in Spanish:
Reimbursement claims are due 60 days after the end of each month.
Below are all of the forms and guides that you need to have a comprehensive understanding of the program requirements.
Sponsor Administrative Guide Resources:
This is only required if your site uses income applications to establish eligibility.
- Instructions and Income Application Packet:
- CDE Oct. 1 Count
- CDE Pupil Membership Data Webpage
- Download the "Pre-K-12 Free and Reduced Lunch Eligibility by School" Excel document under "School Level Data" for the most current information.
Meal Pattern Resources
Meal Pattern Requirements
Menu Planning Resources
Nutrition Guide for Sponsors
Guides and Recipes Packet
All sponsors must have written procurement procedures. Tailor the template below to reflect your policies.
- How-to-Guide on Purchasing High Quality Meals
- Procuring High Quality Meals Tip Sheet
- Process for Contracting with an FSMC or Meal Vendor
- Agreement for SFA or University to Provide Meals
- Informal Purchasing Log
Use the tracking tool below to document all program costs and income.
Sponsor Documentation Resources:
Learn how to ensure food safety for your Summer Food Service Program below.
Sponsors must request a health inspection for all meal sites. Meal sites participating in other child nutrition programs may document health inspection requests from those programs.
The Seamless Summer Option (SSO) allows school food authorities participating in the National School Lunch Program to provide free summer meals to children in low income areas during the traditional summer vacation periods and, for year-round schools, during school vacation periods longer than 15 school days (or for breaks of shorter periods of time if approved by the CDE Office of School Nutrition).
The SSO is designed to allow SFAs to continue the same meal service rules and claiming procedures used during the regular school year. Site designations for the SSO are similar to those for the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and the same NSLP and SBP rules apply for meal service. Meals served are reimbursed at the NSLP and/or SBP free rates.
Seamless Summer Option Resources
Learn how to source local food for your Summer Food Service Program below.