CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24 and Friday, Nov. 25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Data Pipeline Snapshots - Student End of Year
The purpose of the Student End of Year Snapshot is to collect enrollment and outcome information for students during a school year. This includes demographic information and student’s entry and exit from public schools within a district. The data from this collection is used to derive the graduation, dropout, mobility, and stability rates. Additional information about the rates generated by this collection is provided in the rate and report information section below.
The Student End of Year (SEY) collection is broken into three phases. Please see the relevant sections below for more specific instructions for that phase.
- Regular Phase: Data Collection and Clean-Up (Mar - Sept)
- Cross LEA Phase: Post Collection Clean-Up Phase A (Sept-Oct)
- Post-Cross LEA Phase: Post Collection Clean-Up Phase B (Oct-Nov)
The 2021-2022 Student End of Year collection opens on Thursday, May 5, 2022 and closes Thursday, December 1, 2022.
- 2021-22 Student End of Year Timeline (PDF) (updated 6/16/2022)
- 2021-22 File Layout and Definitions for Student End of Year Snapshot (PDF) (posted 2/17/2022)
- 2021-22 File Layout and Definitions for Adjustment File (PDF) (updated 2/17/2022)
- 2022-23 File Layout and Definitions for Adjustment File (PDF) (posted 3/31/2022)
- Student Interchange
- Student Demographic, Student School Association, and Graduation Guidelines files must be submitted to complete Student End of Year
- Historical Student End of Year File Layouts and Definitions
- 2021-22 Student End of Year Snapshot Business Rules (XLS) (updated 10/12/2022)
- Business rules will not be finalized until May 5, 2022 when the collection officially opens.
- 2021-22 Adjustment File Business Rules (XLS) (posted 2/17/2022)
- Exception Request Template and Instructions - Link (XLSX) (updated 4/6/2016)
- How to Request an Exception (PDF) (updated 4/6/2022)
- Note: Some exceptions may require additional documentation.
- Adjustment File Template (XLSX) (updated 9/28/2022)
- Adjustment File Instructions (PDF) (posted 7/1/2022)
Student End of Year Training
SEY Training Schedule (PDF) (updated 10/19/2022)
- Snapshot Introduction 3/14/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Regular Phase 4/27/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Coding High School Students 5/16/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Coding Special Circumstances 6/9/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Errors/Troubleshooting Tricks & Tips 8/3/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Data Validation and COGNOS Reports 8/19/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Cross-LEA Phase 9/15/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Post-Cross LEA & Final Validation 10/19/2022 (PPT) (Recording)
- Archived Data Pipeline Townhall Presentations
Graduation Guidelines File Training
GG Training Schedule (PDF) (updated 6/24/2022)
The Regular Phase is the primary data collection and clean-up phase for the Student End of Year (SEY) snapshot. During the regular phase, districts must upload the Student Demographic, Student School Association, and the Graduation Guidelines files for the Student End of Year Snapshot. Please see the Student Interchange page for more file layouts and additional information.
- SEY Overview & Checklist (PDF) (updated 2/16/2022)
- Regular Phase Instructions (PDF) (updated 04/12/2022)
- Frequently Asked Questions (updated 4/26/2022)
- LAM steps to assign roles for End of Year collection (PDF)
- SEY COGNOS/CEDAR Guide (PDF) (updated 8/1/2022)
- Adequate Documentation of Transfer
- Some student exit type codes require districts to maintain adequate documentation of transfer to avoid incorrectly coding students as dropouts.
The Cross LEA phase is the first of two post-collection phases. During this phase, an initial process is run to validate if a student previously enrolled in a district has been recovered by another Colorado school district or completed a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) after exiting the prior district. Districts then address SE700 level warnings/errors to clean up data discrepancies.
- Cross LEA Phase Instructions (PDF) (updated 9/14/2022)
- Instructions: SE700 Warnings (PDF) (posted 2/17/2022)
- Instructions: SE700 Errors (PDF) (posted 2/17/2022)
- Some SE700 errors must be addressed using an adjustment file.
The Adjustment File is typically loaded to address Cross LEA errors, but can be loaded anytime in the collection. It is used to provide additional information about students who were previously enrolled in a district and did not enroll in the current school years. Adjustment codes should only be used for 7th-12th grade students for whom the district has received notification that a student previously reported as not exiting, dropout, expulsion, or HSED transfer during a previous reporting period completed their education through another education agency.
The Post-Cross LEA phase is the second post-collection phase. During this phase districts complete a final validation of student data. SE900 level warnings/errors are addressed to ensure data accuracy.
- Post Cross LEA Validation Phase steps (PDF) (updated 10/14/2022)
- Instructions: SE900 Warning (PDF) (updated 10/18/2022)
- Instructions: SE900 Errors (PDF) (posted 2/18/2022)
- Instructions: Any additional errors during the Post-Cross LEA Phase (PDF) (updated 10/18/2022)
Adequate Documentation of Transfer
Districts are required to have adequate documentation of transfer when coding students as transferring out of their district to avoid incorrectly coding students as dropouts. During the Post-Cross LEA phase, SE903 errors require districts to submit adequate documentation for students who are reported as transferring out of district who were not subsequently reported in another district. Please see the Adequate Documentation website for more information and templates.
- ASCENT/PTECH guidance (PDF) (updated 4/2/2019)
- Coding Guidance: Special Education Transition Students (PDF) (updated 4/26/2021)
- Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness: Graduation Guidelines
- Accountability: Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness Indicators
- PWR Higher Bar Cut Scores Fact Sheet (Feb 2022)
- Internal Flag Calculation: Federal Race Ethnicity (PDF) (posted 2/17/2022)
- Internal Flag Calculation: Anticipated Year of Graduation (PDF) (posted 4/6/2022)
- Exit Types that Comprise the Graduation Cohort Base (PDF) (updated 2/16/2022)
- Entry/Exit Code Guide (PDF) (posted 9/13/2022)
- Syncplicity Reference
- Data Pipeline Frequently Requested Codes
- Colorado School Code Lists (public and non-public)
- Approved Allowable Facility Code List
- Detention Center Codes
- National Center for Education Statistics: Public School Search
- National Center for Education Statistics: Private School Search
The End of Year collection provides the data used to calculate graduation, completion, dropout and mobility rates for districts on our Educational Statistics page. This information is published online in January the following year in compliance with state and federal law. Districts have access to advanced reports that provide tentative calculations through the COGNOS system in Data Pipeline.
- SEY COGNOS/CEDAR Guide (PDF) (updated 8/1/2022)
Graduation and Completion Rates
- Current School Year Graduation/Completion Rates
- Graduation/Completion Rates for Previous School Years
- US Education Department Graduation Rate Regulation
- US Education Department Graduation Rate Non-Regulatory Guidance
- Exit Types Codes that Comprise the Graduation Cohort (PDF) (updated 2/16/2022)
- Four Year On-Time Graduation Rate FAQ (July 2012)
- On-Time Graduation Talking Points (Jan 2011)
- Graduation and Completion Rates Calculation (PPTX) (updated 8/17/2015)
Contact: Reagan Ward, firstname.lastname@example.org