CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24 and Friday, Nov. 25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Science Education Updates
- Nominate a stellar K-6 Science or Math Educator for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) by January 1, 2023.
- Visit the Colorado Department of Public Heath and the Environment to learn more about School Lab Safety Regulations and learn about resources.
- Save the date for your local 2023 Regional Science Fair using this helpful guide!
The revised Colorado Academic Standards for Science reflect a new vision for science education that connects scientific knowledge, in authentic ways, to real-world problem solving and innovation. The standards forefront scientific practices that use and go beyond the inquiry process to arrive at reasoned and justifiable rationales for interpretations of phenomena/events. Colorado's standards were developed by committee, and are framed around A Framework for K-12 Science Education, released by the National Research Council (NRC) in 2012. The Framework leverages over 20 years of research in science education to identify key scientific ideas and practices all students should learn by the end of high school.
Article IX, Section 16 of Colorado's constitution states, "Neither the general assembly nor the state board of education shall have power to prescribe textbooks to be used in the public schools." However, CDE can still serve as an advisor to help districts and schools adopt, adapt, develop, or use the materials of their choice.
Colorado's 2020 Science Standards support a three-dimensional model of science teaching and learning. Instructional support is grounded in CDE's shared approach to Best, First Instruction as well as practices and strategies supported by professional organizations and scholars at the leading edge of science education. Learn more about ways to support high-quality and equitable learning in the science classroom.
- What is Three-Dimensional Teaching and Learning?
- Unpacking Equity in Science Education
- Guidance for Science Instruction Across Diverse Learning Settings (Hybrid and Virtual Science Instruction Settings)
- Science Lab Safety
- Environmental Literacy- Colorado's Environmental Education Plan
There are many opportunities to connect and grow as a professional educator with the larger science education community, including mailing lists, professional organizations, awards and grants, and events.
Learn more about CMAS Science here.
For further assistance, please contact:
For website assistance in Science, please contact CDE's Science Content Specialist, Maya M. Garcia.