You are here
News Release - Four Colorado schools named 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools
Sept. 16, 2022
Four Colorado schools named 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools
DENVER – The Colorado Department of Education congratulates the four Colorado schools named by U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona as 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools, celebrating their high academic outcomes and efforts to close the achievement gap between some groups of students.
“It's an honor to extend my congratulations to the educators, families and communities of these four Colorado schools for this prestigious award,” said Colorado Education Commissioner Katy Anthes. “Thank you for your dedication to our students and working hard every single day to ensure they can succeed in and out of the classroom."
The Colorado schools awarded are:
- Galeton Elementary School, Eaton RE-2 School District
- Fairmount Elementary School, Jefferson County School District
- Sanford Elementary School, Sanford 6J School District
- Superior Elementary School, Boulder Valley School District
“I applaud all the honorees for the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award for creating vibrant, welcoming, and affirming school communities where students can learn, grow, reach their potential, and achieve their dreams,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. “As our country continues to recover from the pandemic, we know that our future will only be as strong as the education we provide to all of our children. Blue Ribbon Schools have gone above and beyond to keep students healthy and safe while meeting their academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs. These schools show what is possible to make an enduring, positive difference in students’ lives.”
As it enters its 40th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools.
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. The U.S. Department of Education invites National Blue Ribbon Schools nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. Private schools are nominated by the Council for American Private Education.