You are here
CDE-Provided Reading Training - Face-to-Face
Explore Keys to Beginning Reading Semester Options
About Keys to Beginning Reading
The face-to-face training Keys to Beginning Reading by Keys to Literacy is organized into twelve modules that include 45 hours of content on scientifically and evidence-based practices in teaching reading.
- All face-to-face sessions will be held virtually as synchronous sessions.
- Class sizes will be capped at 30 participants.
- If a minimum of 15 participants do not register for a cohort, the cohort may be canceled.
- Registration for courses will close 2 weeks prior to the first training session to allow for manuals to be mailed to participants.
- Course manuals will be mailed to participants soon after registration closes.
- Attendance at all training sessions and a score of 80% or higher on the end of course assessment are required to meet the evidence-based training in teaching requirement.
13.01(C)(2)(a): Successfully completed a CDE-provided reading training designed to meet this training requirement and passed the end of course assessment of learning
Educators will submit evidence of meeting the evidence-based training in teaching reading requirement to the CDE through the Colorado Online Licensing (COOL) system.
Important Dates for Teachers
August 1, 2022: evidence-based training in teaching reading must be completed
August 15, 2022: documentation must be submitted to the Colorado Online Licensing (COOL) system
All teachers who teach in kindergarten through grade three, must complete the training by August 1, 2022, to meet the deadline. In subsequent years, teachers hired after June 1, 2022, must enroll in the READ Act teacher training as soon as they receive their district email address. Teachers are expected to complete the training without delays so as to not impact the distribution of READ Act per-pupil dollars to the local education agency.
- District informs teachers of the option to register for the CDE-provided face-to-face teacher training and information on how to register.
- District maintains a record of which teachers have met this requirement.
- District reports this information to the CDE upon request.
Please note: Teachers must retain all documentation.
- Teacher registers for the CDE-provided face-to-face teacher training.
- Teacher completes the CDE-provided face-to-face reading training and takes the end of course assessment earning a passing score.
- Teacher receives a certificate of completion which notes that he/she has successfully passed the end of course assessment.
- Teacher submits his/her certificate of completion through the Colorado Online Licensing (COOL) system.
- For detailed instructions on submitting documentation to COOL, click here.
- Teacher receives and saves a copy of documentation from the CDE that demonstrates the "READ Act designation" attached to their CDE file.
- Teacher provides the district with documentation of successful completion of course requirements.