You are here

Indicator 16 - Mediation Agreements


Percent of mediations held that resulted in mediation agreements.

(20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3(B))


Percent = (Mediation agreements related to due process complaints + Mediation agreements not related to due process complaints) divided by Mediations held) times 100.

Percent = ((Mediations agreements related to due process complaints + Mediations agreements not related to due process complaints) / Mediations held) * 100

How is Colorado doing on this indicator?

Ind 16 Graph. 	2017, 62.96%	2018, 54.35%	2019, 56.82%	2020, 48.89%  2021, 63.08%

Targets for the Current SPP/APR Cycle

Indicator 16 Targets for current SPP/APR cycle
School Year 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Target >= 54.35% 54.35% 54.35% 54.35% 54.35% 54.35%




Improvement Strategies

Ind 16 image


  • The CDE has recently developed two documents to assist parties inquiring about or preparing for mediation: Special Education Mediation Questions and Answers (Q and A in Spanish) and Preparing for Special Education Mediation (Preparing for Mediation in Spanish).   These documents are posted on the CDE website, and they are sent to parties preparing for mediation.
  • Mediators will be attending CADRE’s 8th National Symposium, in October 2021, for professional development.
  • Mediators will also be attending the CDE’s 2022 Special Education Legal Conference for additional training in special education law.
  • The CDE is revising our state’s Procedural Safeguards to provide a document that is more comprehensible and will assist in navigating the special education process, including mediation. (2021-2022)

Additional Resources

  • Target Setting Process Video for Indicator 16

The feedback period has closed, this video is included for information on the target setting process


For more information, contact:

Gloria Durosko
Supervisor, Data and Monitoring Liaison
Email Gloria Durosko
Phone: (720) 822-5102

Orla Bolger
Email Orla Bolger
Phone: (720) 921-0524

Having trouble with this webpage?


If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Unit at Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.