You are here
English Language Learners Identified or Suspected of Having Educational Disabilities
This webpage is designed to provide guidelines and resources for professionals and families supporting English Language Learners identified with educational disabilities or suspected of having educational disabilities. English Language Learners (EL) are identified as a subgroup of the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) population.
The appropriate referral, identification, and placement of learners who are Culturally and/or Linguistically Diverse is necessary to ensure students' civil rights as well as a free and appropriate public education aligned with the individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Resources, opportunities for trainings and workshops as well as links to other sources of information on this topic are available below.
All resources were reviewed in 2015 (unless otherwise stated).
- Coming Soon!
- Coming Soon!
Colorado Bilingual Network mission: Advocating for the mental health and special education needs of bilingual students in the school system, providing professional development related to best practices with bilingual students, and facilitating networking for school professionals working with bilingual students.
- Colorado Bilingual SLP Network
- Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs - Email Ernest House (Contact Person for the Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs)
OSEP Policy Letter 21-03 (PDF) - Letter Addressing Issues Affecting English Learners with Disabilities
World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) Resources
- Can-Do Descriptors for WIDA Levels of English Language Proficiency (PDF)
- Speaking/Writing Rubrics of the WIDA Consortium (PDF)
- English Language Proficiency Standards Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 5 (WIDA) (PDF)
- English Language Proficiency Standards Grade 6 through Grade 12 (WIDA) (PDF)
- World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) - Resource Guide (PDF)
- World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) - Performance Definitions (PDF)
For more information, please contact:
Email Shauna (Moden_S@cde.state.co.us)
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.