CDE will be closed on Monday, July 4 for the Independence Day holiday.
You are here
General Requirements for All Licenses & Authorizations
- General Requirements for All Licenses & Authorizations
- Colorado Endorsement Requirements
- Fingerprint requirements - Select icon below
Career & Technical Education
Alternative Preparation and Licensure
- Teacher: What is it? How to start? Find a program
- Principal: What is it? Who qualifies? Create a plan/Find a Program
- Licensure verification / Letter of good standing
- Freeze" / Put your professional license on hold (inactive status)
- Reactivate a professional license on hold (inactive status)
- Name change request
- Teacher exchange opportunities
- English Learner Professional Development requirements
Required of all professional teachers who hold an elementary, English, math, science, social studies or any middle level endorsement.
- READ Act requirements
Required of all teachers of grades K to 3
- Special Education/Behavior Health Professional Development Requirements (pdf version)
Information for Out-of-State Applicants
- Credentialing Guide for Out-of-State Applicants
- Out-of-State Endorsement FAQ
- How to Obtain a Colorado Educator License
Step 1: Review the Application Checklist
(ensure you meet all requirements before you apply!)
Step 2: Log In to COOL
Step 1: Review renewal requirements for professional licensees
Step 2: Go directly to the Application Checklist to submit a complete and proper application
StatusAlready submitted an application? Check the status by logging into your COOL account. You will also see the current date of applications we are processing.
Educator Credential Search
The latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
Colorado House Bill 22-1220 has numerous implications around education preparation for candidates and programs. Visit this webpage for more information about stipend programs, licensure options and demonstration of content competency!
- TEACH Colorado is a one-stop shop with free resources to help talented Coloradans join the teaching profession. The program provides the support you may need to enroll in an educator preparation program. TEACH Colorado offers comprehensive profiles of the state's educator preparation programs, application fee reimbursements, scholarships, and 1:1 licensure advising. Take advantage of these free tools at TEACHColorado.org.
- All K-3 educators who teach reading and literacy skills in Colorado must complete evidence-based reading training requirements by Monday, Aug 1 and documentation of completion must be submitted by Monday, Aug 15. Visit the K-3 Teacher Evidence-Based Reading Training Requirements webpage for details and resources.
- Visit the Educator Recruitment and Retention webpage to learn more about Educator Recruitment Supports for Districts and BOCES, resources for new teachers and substitutes, and more!
- The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) presents the Model Code of Ethics for Educators (MCEE), a common language of ethics developed by educators for educators that can support and guide decisions regarding professional practice. Ideal for in-service training or professional learning communities (PLCs). Get started with the following resources:
- MCEE video features the educators who helped develop the MCEE and speaks to the importance of the code and its application in the classroom
- DistruptEd is a two-part video conversation with Troy Hutchings and Phil Rogers about the Code of Ethics (Part 1 and Part 2)
- Contact NASDTEC at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments.