You are here
Colorado Summer Library Program
- The Summer Food Service Program is more important than ever this year, and partnering with your local program provides an excellent opportunity to provide your summer program to more kids this summer; learn more about the program and find partnering suggestions in CSLP's toolkit.
- Check out these recommendations for performers for summer and year round from your Colorado library colleagues.
- Interested in an online reading program system?
- The State Library is sponsoring a limited number of Colorado public libraries to use of ReadingRecord for free or a discounted rate. Find out more here.
- Or, peruse this overview of 8 online reading program tracking systems.
- Thinking ahead?
- The theme for 2024 is adventure with the slogan Adventure Begins at Your Library, with artist Juana Martinez-Neal
- The theme for 2025 is art with the slogan Color Your World, with artist Brian Floca
- The theme for 2026 is dinosaurs (slogan and artist TBD)
- Be sure to join the Colorado youth services email list (CYS-Lib) to keep informed about all things summer learning related!
- The National Summer Learning Association is providing a great array of free summer learning webinars; previous live sessions are all archived for you to view at your convenience.
- Read about the benefits to kids of reading over the summer, best practices for summer reading programs, and research needs in CSLP's (Collaborative Summer Library Program) Summer Reading White Paper.
About Summer Learning in Colorado Libraries
Colorado is a member of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), a grassroots consortium of states working together to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at the lowest cost possible for their public libraries. By combining resources and working with a commercial vendor to produce materials designed exclusively for CSLP members, public libraries in participating states or systems can purchase posters, reading logs, bookmarks, certificates and a variety of reading incentives at significant savings. The participating systems and states develop a unified and high-quality promotional and programming product. Participants have access to the same artwork, incentives and publicity, in addition to an extensive manual of programming and promotional ideas.
Especially for Educators
- Resources about Summer Slide and the Importance of Reading over the Summer (PDF): Includes research on summer slide, how to connect with your local public library's summer reading program, tips and talking points about summer slide for students and parents, infographics, and more
- Summer Reading Makes a Difference for Colorado Families: LRS Fast Facts on the impact of public library Summer Reading Programs
Especially for Parents, Grandparents, and Caregivers
- Summer Learning in Public Libraries: Outlines why and how to engage your family in reading, learning, and enjoying your local public library this summer
- Summer Reading Parent Tips (PDF): Simple activities for your family this summer to help keep your kids and teens reading--and having fun while doing so!
Connect With Us