You are here
Colorado Dual Language Immersion (DLI)
About Dual Language Immersion
Dual Language Immersion programs in Colorado foster high levels of academic achievement through instruction in two languages, bilingualism, biliteracy, and enhanced awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity.
Why Dual Language Immersion
Dual Language Immersion education is grounded in the principles of additive bilingualism and cultural pluralism. This orientation views language and culture as a resource, and thus, being bilingual and bicultural as being resource-rich. The goals of dual language immersion education are:
(1) High levels of academic achievement in 2 languages
(2) Bilingualism and biliteracy
(3) Encompasses culturally responsive learning environments that value inclusivity, equity and the differences of all students and the surrounding communities
(4) Develops students to be adaptive, open-minded, culturally competent and globally aware
Dual Language Immersion enhances the development of content in two languages, as well as literacy in both languages so that students will graduate ready for college, career, and life in a globally competitive economy and a collaborative international community. This unique program builds students’ linguistic skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in both languages. Students learn standards-based content as they become linguistically and academically proficient in two languages.
Some of the benefits of a dual language immersion include greater cognitive flexibility, increased attention control, better memory, and stronger problem-solving skills; an enhanced understanding of their own language; equal or better performance on standardized tests of English and math administered in English than non-immersion students; and intercultural and sociocultural competencies.
Colorado Department of Education would like to thank the following educators for developing this website for Colorado:
- Kathy Benzel, Denver Language School, Denver Public Schools
- Camilla Modesitt, Denver Language School, Denver Public Schools
- Jessica Martinez, Eagle County School District
- Rena Frasco, Morgan County School District Re-3
- Toni Theisen, Thompson School District
- Nelson Molina, Global Ambassador Programs
- Janine Erickson, Denver Language School
- Leslie Davison, Summit School District
For technical assistance, please contact Nelson Molina, ELD Specialist at email@example.com.
Connect With Us