You are here
Turnaround Leadership Development Program
School Turnaround Leadership Development (STLD) Evaluation Update - Spring 2021
In the Fall of 2020, CDE partnered with the Center for Assessment, Design, Research, and Evaluation (CADRE) at the University of Colorado Boulder to perform an evaluation of the STLD support program. CADRE has recently completed the quantitative analyses portion of the evaluation, and will continue to work with CDE to complete the qualitative portion during the 2021-22 school year. Below is a link to the quantitative analyses report posted on CADRE's website, as well as more in-depth evaluation update from the STLD team at CDE.
The School Turnaround Leadership Development Program (STLD), first created in 2014 through S.B. 14-124, establishes and promotes leadership training specifically for the turnaround environment and is an integral part of Colorado’s state-wide strategy to improve the performance of students in the lowest-performing schools and districts in the state. In 2018, H.B. 18-1355 modified the state's accountability law, renaming and expanding the School Turnaround Leadership Development Program by creating the School Transformation Grant program. Thus, STLD became one of the seven support program routes funded through the School Transformation Grant. The grant program releases two RFPs, one for providers and one for participants.
It is the intention of CDE and the Office of Priority Improvement and Turnaround Support to align the support offered through the turnaround leadership development Provider and Participant grants with other supports and partnerships offered through CDE. Applicants are encouraged to review other support systems.
- Legislative Report to the Colorado Legislature on the School Transformation Grant (July 2021) (PDF)
- School Turnaround Leadership Development Program Service Info Sheet
The Participant RFP is intended for districts, charter schools, or the Charter School Institute to apply for state funds in order to have eligible teachers, principals, and district staff enroll and participate in the identified Providers. Applicants may request funds to support teacher leaders, school leaders, and district staff who directly work in or support schools with identified Priority Improvement or Turnaround plan types, according to the Colorado School Performance Frameworks.
Starting with the 2018-2019 school year, the Participant RFP is now a part of the Empowering Action for School Improvement (EASI) appllication. With the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), Colorado is taking the opportunity to change the way school improvement (1003a) funds are awarded to LEAs. Rather than multiple applications on separate timelines, CDE is now streamlining school improvement opportunities into a single application and using a “needs-based approach” to award services and funding.
Information about the EASI process is available in the links below:
The Provider RFP is intended for existing or new leadership development providers. Applicants may apply to have a new or existing program identified as meeting the criteria and quality as outlined in the RFP. Such identified Providers would then be eligible to enroll participants and to receive state funds through the Participant RFP. Provider applicants may also apply for one-time design grants to support the creation and/or development of their turnaround leadership development programs. Applicants must agree to serve leaders in more than one district across the state.
Please click on each of the Providers for more information about their programs for participation in the 2022-23 school year.
- Academy for Urban School Leadership - LiberatEd Way (PDF)
- Accelerate Institute - Leadership Academy Program (PDF)
- Build. Excel. Sustain. (BES) - Leadership Coaching (PDF)
- Build. Excel. Sustain. (BES) - Leadership Intensives (PDF)
- Build. Excel. Sustain. (BES) - Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools (PDF)
- Colorado Education Initiative - Comprehensive Turnaround Leadership Program (PDF)
- Ed Direction (PDF)
- Generation Schools Network - Turnaround Leadership Program (PDF)
- National Institute for Excellence in Teaching - Turnaround Leadership Development (PDF)
- New Leaders - Breakthrough Leadership for Assistant Principals Program (PDF)
- New Leaders - Breakthrough Leadership for Principals Program (PDF)
- New Leaders - Breakthrough Leadership for Principal Supervisors Program (PDF)
- New Leaders - Emerging Leaders Program (PDF)
- New Leaders - Instructional Leadership Team Program (PDF)
- New Teacher Center (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education - Instructional Leadership Professional Development (ILPD) (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education - National Principal Academy Fellowship (NPAF) (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education - National Principal Supervisor Academy (NPSA) (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education - Regional Support (PDF)
- Schools Cubed (PDF)
- The National Center on Education and the Economy - NISL Program (PDF)
- The National Center on Education and the Economy - School Leadership Coaching Program (SLCP) (PDF)
- TNTP (PDF)
- University of Denver - Design Improvement Program (PDF)
- University of Denver - MA in Education Leadership Program (PDF)
- University of Denver - Ritchie Principal Program (PDF)
- University of Virginia - Partnership for Leadership in Education (PDF)
- WestEd (PDF)
- Legislative Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Transformation Grant, July 2021 (PDF)
- Legislative Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Transformation Grant, July 2020 (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, June 2019 (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, January 2018 (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, March 2017 (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, June 2015 (PDF)
Turnaround Leadership Resources
- Colorado State Board of Education Rules for the Administration of the School Transformation Grant Program
- School Turnaround Leaders: Competencies for Success, Public Impact, 2008 (PDF)
- School Turnaround Leaders: Selection Toolkit, Public Impact, 2008 (PDF)
- Turnaround Leader Competency Self-Assessment-Public Impact (DOC)
- School Turnaround Leader Competencies (PDF)
Please feel free to contact Carol Mehesy, Mehesy_C@cde.state.co.us with questions about the School Turnaround Leadership Development Program.