As CDE works to analyze, interpret, and comply with the new Colorado Data Privacy Law (C.R.S. 22-16-101 et. al. formerly HB16-1423), we will be providing resources to assist the other parties who have obligations under the law in fulfilling those requirements. Content will be added as it becomes available.
CDE has presented an implementation timeline to the State Board of Education. This timeline discusses the approximate dates when our requirements from the law will be completed. That timeline is located here.
- CDE Presentation for Districts on New Data Privacy Law
- District Guidance on Information Security and Privacy Policies (Feb 2014)
- Superintendent Presentation on New Law
- Fact Sheet on New Law
- PTAC Video: Email and Student Privacy
Contracts and Agreements
- New Executed Contracts
- LEP Contract Template (Annotated)
- LEP Contract Template (Clean)
- LEP Contract Template Presentation
Data Collection Guidance
- LEPs must post a link to CDE's Data Dictionary. This is the link to our updated Data Dictionary: http://www.eddataportal.info/cde.
- Best Practices for Informing Parents about Data Collection
- Excel In Ed: Student Data Privacy Communications Toolkit
- CDE's On-Demand Providers Transparency page
Third Party Guidance
- Letter to third parties who receive Personally Identifiable Information from CDE
- PTAC: Protecting Student Privacy While Using Online Educational Services
- CoSN: Security Questions to Ask of An Online Service Provider
- Fact Sheet - School Services and Contract and On-Demand Providers
CDE Compliance Activities
- Per C.R.S.22-16-105 (2)(a), CDE is required to create a research review process and gain approval from the State Board of Education. The State Board approved the process on September 14, 2016. The process presentation is located here.
If you have questions, contact the Data Privacy Office at email@example.com.